Do you like Rainbow Rowell? Enter to win a free ARC of her new book, Landline, available from Goodreads First Reads, now through June 26!
DNF at 25%
Even reading 25% of this book was a struggle. I will typically slog through a book for weeks in hopes that it will get better, but this but was not only boring, it was offensive, poorly written, and confusing.
I was provided with a free ARC of Game via Netgalley, and I’m wondering if there was something wrong with the file, because there were approximately 12,062 mistakes on each page. Names were not capitalized. Entire sentences ran together without spaces. Paragraphs were broken up into chunks by random numbers inserted into the middle. Line breaks abounded, used sometimes several times within one sentence. I could not handle it. It’s a shame that you can’t edit the formatting of kindle books. That might have made this book more tolerable.
Only marginally more tolerable, though, because HP has to be the most unlikable character I’ve had the displeasure of reading about this year. At 31 years old, evidently HP still fancies himself a teenager, because he blows off his job like he no cares in the world, despite the fact that he literally has no food and has no money to pay his bills. He is awful to the singular friend of his that we meet, a recently converted Muslim who dear HP refuses to call by his new name. HP shows no remorse for anything he does, from minor pranks to serious crimes. He acts like nothing can touch him, and I couldn’t tell whether this was intentional or whether the author simply didn’t know how to write a good slacker.
Don’t even get me started on Rebecca, because her storyline, at least for the first quarter of the book, is a mess. Add that to the fact that there nothing to distinguish Rebecca’s sections from HP’s (aside from the abrupt change in pronouns, that is) and I couldn’t handle this book.
I told myself that is I’d keep reading until 25% to see if it got any better. It didn’t. Of course, I can’t speak to the remaining 75%, but I would not recommend based on the disappointing beginning.
Final rating: ☆☆☆☆☆ (DNF)
Want a copy for yourself? Check out this giveaway on Goodreads, ending July 15.