Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today is all about historical settings. I am a big fan of historical fiction, although I generally get distracted by futuristic books if I have the choice. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t love books set in the past! Some of my favorite books are historical fiction, and here are settings I love to read about.
- 1950′s (for example: In the Unlikely Event, Seventh Heaven)
- 1960′s in the Southern US (for example: The Help, The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, Necessary Lies)
- 1980′s (for example: Eleanor & Park)
- 1990′s (for example: Landline, although it’s more time travel than historical fiction, but I’ll let it slide – also, are the 90′s historical yet?)
- Colonial America (for example: The Spirit Keeper – although this is not one of my favorite settings, there are some excellent books set during this time)
- Victorian England (for example: A Great and Terrible Beauty)
- Old New York (for example: The Diviners, set in 1929)
- Depression Era (for example: Water for Elephants)
- World War I Era (for example: Leviathan – again, not one of my favorite settings, but I’ve read some good books set during this time as well)
- World War II Era (for example: The Book Thief, Atonement, Margot)
Epic Reads has a great timeline of YA historical fiction if you’re interested in getting into the genre!
Do you have any historical fiction favorites that I should try?