Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is a ♪♫♪♫ music-themed ♫♪♫♪ freebie! I am a huge fan of Taylor Swift, so here are ten of her songs that would make great books:
- The Last Time ♫ “This is the last time you tell me I’ve got it wrong. This is the last time I say it’s been you all along. This is the last time I let you in my door. This is the last time, I won’t hurt you anymore.” ♫ Is this every new adult book ever?
- State of Grace ♪ “This is a state of grace / This is the worthwhile fight / Love is a ruthless game / Unless you play it good and right / These are the hands of fate / You’re my Achilles heel / This is the golden age of something good and right and real” ♪ Is this also every new adult book ever? Am I sensing a pattern here?
- The Story of Us ♫ “This is looking like a contest of who can act like they care less, but I liked it better when you were on my side. The battle’s in your hands now, but I would lay my armor down if you said you’d rather love than fight. So many things that you wish I knew, but the story of us might be ending soon.“ ♫ But really now, who has not experienced this? This book would be heartbreaking, but I would love it.
- Everything Has Changed ♪ “All I knew this morning when I woke is I know something now, know something now I didn’t before. And all I’ve seen since eighteen hours ago is green eyes and freckles and your smile in the back of my mind making me feel like I just wanna know you better now.“ ♪ FRIENDS TO LOVERS? MY FAVORITE TROPE? I SUDDENLY JUST REALIZED THAT I LOVE YOU??? (Excuse me while I hyperventilate. Also this video is so cute I could cry.)
- Sparks Fly ♫ “Drop everything now / Meet me in the pouring rain / Kiss me on the sidewalk / Take away the pain / ‘Cause I see sparks fly whenever you smile / Get me with those green eyes, baby, as the lights go down / Give me something that’ll haunt me when you’re not around” ♫ I’m fanning myself, literally, thinking about this scene.
- Long Live ♪ “
I said remember this feeling / I pass the pictures around of all the years that we stood there on the side-lines wishing for right now / We are the Kings and the Queens / You traded your baseball cap for a crown / When they gave us our trophies and we held them up for our town / And the cynics were outraged, screaming, “This is absurd!” / ‘Cause for a moment a band of thieves in ripped up jeans got to rule the world / Long live the walls we crashed through / How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you / I was screaming long live all the magic we made and bring on all the pretenders, I’m not afraid / Long live all the mountains we moved / I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you
/ I was screaming long live that look on your face and bring on all the pretenders / One day, we will be remembered” ♪ (I could quote the whole song, honestly. It’s one of my forever favorites of hers.) Taking a step back from the romance theme here, this would be such a great, empowering YA novel.
- All Too Well ♫ “Time won’t fly, it’s like I’m paralyzed by it / I’d like to be my old self again, but I’m still trying to find it / After plaid shirt days and nights when you made me your own / Now you mail back my things and I walk home alone / But you keep my old scarf from that very first week / ‘Cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me / You can’t get rid of it ‘cause you remember it all too well, yeah“ ♫ Let me just tell you a thing – this song breaks me. This song has made me cry on so many occasions. It would be the saddest book ever but it would be so good.
- Love Story ♪ “Romeo, save me, they’re trying to tell me how to feel. This love is difficult but it’s real. Don’t be afraid, we’ll make it out of this mess.
It’s a love story, baby, just say yes.“ ♪ So everybody knows this song, right? It was Taylor’s first really really big hit. Taylor has said that it’s basically Romeo & Juliet with a happy ending, and who doesn’t want to read that?
- Clean ♫ “There was nothing left to do when the butterflies turned to dust that covered my whole room, so I punched a hole in the roof / Let the flood carry away all my pictures of you” ♫ (So apparently there are no real versions of Clean on Youtube? So this is a good cover.) Can you imagine this as a fantasy novel? Like all of this imagery actually happening?
- Enchanted ♪ “The lingering question kept me up: 2 AM, who do you love? / I wonder ’til I’m wide awake, and now I’m pacing back and forth, wishing you were at my door / I’d open up and you would say, Hey, it was enchanting to meet you“ ♪ The set up to the cutest romance novel ever? They meet at a party, spend the night talking, probably have a great kiss, and she goes home and thinks about him all night. He shows up at her door (probably not the same night cause that’s creepy) – “It was enchanting to meet you.”
If you stuck with me until the end, thank you! I have an embarrassingly huge girl crush on Taylor Swift and have been listening to her since I was a teenager. Sometimes it shows. 🙂