Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today’s theme is actually “top ten books I could re-read forever,” but since we all know I don’t do re-reads, I decided to go with one from the archive instead: top ten things that instantly make me want to read a book. Prepare yourself. This could get fangirly.
1. Any kind of romance with the brother’s best friend or the best friend’s brother. It’s kind of taboo but not really and it usually has some searing sexual tension. Bonus points if there’s been a crush for literally forever.
Examples: Boomerang Boyfriend // The Boy I Hate // Personal Escort
2. Emails or texts in the blurb. Give me some insight into the personalities of your characters right in the blurb and I’ll probably drop everything to read your book.
Examples: I Hate Everyone But You // Over Us, Over You
3. OH MY GOD, THEY WERE ROOMMATES. It just adds another layer of tension to a relationship. I love it when they’re dancing around each other and they’re both feeling the attraction but neither of them wants to be the first to admit it.
Examples: Cocky Roomie // Famous // Roomie Wars
4. A setting in Wisconsin. Nobody sets their books in Wisconsin. It’s my homeland. If your book is set there, I’ll probably pre-order it.
Examples: Arrows // Little House // American Gods
5. Or a setting in the New York / New Jersey area. This is where I live now, and I love reading about places that are familiar.
Examples: Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares // Remember When // The Diviners
6. Anything having to do with music. Is one of the characters in a band? Do the characters talk about their mutual love of a certain genre? Does it take place at a music festival or concert? Just take my money.
Examples: More Than Music // Blow // Eleanor & Park
7. Road trips. I honestly love road trips… when they’re with the right people. Driving across the country with your parents isn’t ideal, but a group of friends going somewhere fun, with snacks and music and random stops along the way? Yes, please!
Examples: Seven Ways to Lose Your Heart // Lovers Like Us // The Temptation of Adam
8. Epistolary novels. I don’t know what it is about them, but I love reading correspondence between characters. It gives a whole different vibe to the book!
Examples: The Perks of Being a Wallflower // Attachments // Where’d You Go, Bernadette
9. Written by one of my favorite authors. This is probably cheating, but I don’t even care. My favorite authors could write about grass growing or paint drying, and I’d still buy their books.
Examples: Turtles All the Way Down // We Were Liars // Heartless
10. A really good cover. I know, I know, don’t judge a book by its cover. But sometimes I can’t resist and end up reading a book just because the cover was so perfect.
Examples: The Big F // A Million Junes // Seven Days of You
One thought on “Top Ten Tuesday: Things that instantly make me want to read a book”