Happy Top Ten Tuesday! Today’s theme is ten characters I liked that were in books I disliked (or that just weren’t my favorites). For various reasons (that you can find in my reviews) these books just didn’t do it for me. That doesn’t mean that the characters were all bad, though.
- In V.E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic series, A Conjuring of Light was my least favorite book. But it’s the book that made me fall in love with not one, not two, but three of her characters:
- Rhy Maresh,
- Alucard Emery,
- and Holland Vosijk.
- Rachel Van Dyken’s Infraction wasn’t my favorite (I preferred Fraternize), but Kinsey was a great character.
- Of all the sports romances I read last year, Nicole Edwards’ Bad Reputation would be somewhere in the middle of the pack. The hero of the story, though, Chase, would be near the top of the list.
- I didn’t particularly enjoy either Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares or The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily, both by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn. I find it funny that I thought Lily was adorable in D&LBoD while Dash was insufferable, and the opposite was true in TTDoD&L — Dash was a cutie patootie and Lily was annoying as all heck.
- I wasn’t the hugest fan of Let It Snow, a collection of three inter-connected winter romances by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle. Maureen Johnson’s contribution was by far the best of the bunch, and the main character, Jubilee, was a great protagonist.
- R.J. Palacio’s Wonder was a bit preachy for my tastes (and I’m honestly unsure if I approve of the message), but I loved Auggie’s sister, Olivia.
- Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde wasn’t my favorite book of the year (though I still enjoyed it enough), but Jamie was a great character.
Do you have any favorite characters from books you didn’t really love?