It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
I’m not really sure what to say about this book, so here is a semi-chronological list of my thoughts while reading with all of the spoilers removed.
- I’m pretty sure everybody in the world has read this except for me.
- It’s sure descriptive, huh. So many adjectives.
- Okay, it started pretty slowly but it’s starting to pick up.
- I am so confused. I love all of these characters already but I am so confused.
- Why is this so good? I’m going to have to read the whole series now.
- Adam! Let me adopt you! Let me save you!
- Oh no, Adam is so nice and then there’s Gansey, who is just something else.
- Oh my god, Noah. I didn’t see that coming.
- OH MY GOD. ADAM. Let me love you. Let me protect you. Let me save you. Let me do something even though you’re fictional but please.
- OH MY GOD. RONAN. YOU’RE SUCH A GOOD FRIEND.
- WHAT ARE YOU DOING ADAM????
- I love Persephone! (Actually, I love all of the psychics.)
- NEEVE WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!
- ADAM WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
- There is so much happening at the end of this book!!!
- I have no idea what happened in at least half this book but I loved it.
- Next up: The Dream Thieves.
Final rating: ★★★★☆