If you asked me to rank my favorite tropes, friends-to-lovers would be way up at the top of the list. I love it even more than enemies-to-lovers, and that’s saying something. I also really love anything having to do with roommates. And kids. I really like kids. In real life, I mean. Not usually in romance novels, but I have to say, Serena Bell did an awesome job with the kid. So often, the kid kind of gets forgotten amidst all the romancing, but Katie was always front and center in the minds of Chase and Liv, and I so appreciated that. But enough on the kid. Let’s get to the good stuff.
I guess it’s safe to say that Head Over Heels checked all of my boxes. Not only is it a friends-to-lovers romance that actually feels pretty natural… but, let’s see.
- They actually communicate!
- They have insane chemistry.
- There’s honest-to-goodness banter.
- The writing is legitimately funny.
- They’re truly best friends. Not like I’m going to pretend you’re my best friend because I’m secretly super attracted to you type friends, but real friends.
- And did I mention their chemistry?
I read this book in one sitting. I was so invested in the story that I couldn’t bring myself to put it down! Sure, there were a couple sections that felt a little jumpy, but I can forgive it because the chemistry was insane. (And also because the book really tugged at my heartstrings! I didn’t expect to tear up so many times!)
This was my first read by Serena Bell, but I definitely plan to read more from her.