“This is an award for amazing bloggers with ingenious posts. Their blog not only captivates; it inspires and motivates. They are one of the best out there, and they deserve every recognition they get. This award is also for bloggers who find fun and inspiration in blogging and they do it with so much love and passion.” – Okoto Enigma
I was nominated by Kirsty @ Paperback Punk Rock for the Mystery Blogger Award! Thank you so much for the nomination! 💜
- Put the award logo/image on your blog.
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well.
- List the rules.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
- Nominate 10 – 20 people.
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blog.
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice, with one weird or funny question (specify).
- Share a link to their best post(s).
Three Facts About Me
- Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I’ve talked before about how much I love coffee, but I also love every breakfast food. Give me pancakes, waffles, any kind of eggs, a breakfast sandwich, hashbrowns, all the bacon… I could subsist only on breakfast.
- Even if nothing’s wrong, if someone repeatedly asks me what’s wrong, I’ll probably start crying. It’s been like this as long as I can remember!
- I get so annoyed when people make fun of my accent. Believe it or not, I am fully aware that I have a midwestern accent and that it really sticks out on the east coast! It’s even stronger if I go back to Wisconsin or if I’ve recently had a long phone call with my mom! I don’t make fun of your stupid New Jersey accent and how nobody here knows how to pronounce the word “water,” do I? (I think I need to calm down now.)
Hardback or paperback?
The eternal question… I like the look of hardbacks but paperbacks are cheaper and take up less space.
If you could have any book cover ever printed blown up into a poster for your wall, what would it be?
I feel like all I ever do is hype up Jenn Bennett’s books, but Starry Eyes! I love that cover! It’s so pretty!
How do you feel about sprayed edges?
I don’t need sprayed edges, but they look nice.
Do you dog ear your pages?
Would you rather have a duck the size of a horse or ten horses the size of ducks?
I think that a horse-sized duck would be pretty terrifying, so I’m going to have to go with ten duck-sized horses. Also, I recently found out that miniature horses can be legally considered service animals, so you could technically bring those duck-sized horses everywhere with you.
This is my third time doing this tag, so I tried not to tag anybody I’ve already tagged or who already tagged me! I’m tagging a couple people I’ve only recently started following. 🙂
My questions for you
- What fictional character do you love reading about who would be terrible to deal with in real life?
- What’s the best “hidden gem” book you’ve ever read?
- What achievement are you proud of that other people might consider silly or weird?
- What upcoming book release are you most excited for?
- If you were arrested with no explanation, what would your family and/or friends assume you’d done?
I was tagged by Ginny @ Discerning Couch Potato to do 100 Truths! This really reminds me of those overly personal bulletins that used to float around Myspace back in the day. (What? I’m old and nobody knows what I’m talking about? Ok.) Anyway, I love it and thank you for tagging me!
I also like being a detective sometimes so I went ahead and found the mysterious missing questions. (Fair warning: There’s probably a reason that someone got rid of them!)
1. What’s your name?
In case my username didn’t make it abundantly clear, my name is Sara. (No H.)
2. Any nicknames or aliases?
Not really? I mean, my boss calls me Sarabella, but I don’t know if that really counts since she’s the only one that does it. There’s not a lot that you can do with Sara, honestly. If you have any ideas, let me know. I’ve gone this long in life without a nickname and I think I need some help.
3. Your gender?
4. Your star sign?
5. How old are you?
I’m at that point in my life where I can still say, “Hey, I’m in my 20s!” but saying my real age makes me feel old. But anyway, I’m 28.
6. Your relationship status?
In the longest of long-term relationships.
7. Any children?
I have four nieces and one nephew and zero children of my own.
8. Any pets?
I have an adorable elderly cat and hopefully I’m going to get her a friend soon! Her lifelong buddy passed away right after Thanksgiving last year and I’m probably projecting but I think she’s lonely.
9. Any tattoos or piercings?
I’m way too indecisive for a tattoo. My ears are pierced but that’s it.
10. What do you like about yourself?
I can get along with almost anyone. I’m also really good at remembering names and faces.
11. What do you dislike about yourself?
I’m so anxious about everything and it drives me crazy.
12. Righty or lefty?
13. The last thing you drank:
Water, and in case that’s too boring, raspberry seltzer. And in case that’s too boring… probably coffee?
14. The last thing you ate:
I had a Cuban sandwich for lunch and it was amazing.
15. Your last phone call:
If work counts, it was a guy I gave biopsy results to right before I left. If we’re talking about personal calls, it was my boyfriend’s mom.
16. Your last text message:
A rather long text conversation with my work BFF about the parking situation at our office, including a bunch of photos of people parked like idiots and some references and inside jokes that probably only make sense to us. I tried typing them out but then I was just like… Nobody’s going to understand that, Sara. Stop it.
17. Your last email:
So the IT guy sent me a row of unprompted question marks right before I left and I wanted to respond “same” but actually responded with “Did you have a question for me, Scott?” Because honestly, a row of question marks? Am I a mind reader?
20. The last time you cried:
I really don’t cry very often… I honestly don’t know. Probably the last time I clumsily smashed a limb into a piece of furniture.
21. The last blog you read:
The answer to this is generally “the person who’s at the top of my WP reader.”
22. The last person you spoke to:
I believe I said a few words to my boyfriend when I got home from work, but my last actual conversation was with one of my coworkers.
23. The last place you visited:
NYC for BookCon.
24. Your last holiday abroad:
The last foreign country I was in was Costa Rica and it was amazing.
Have you ever?
25. Have you ever gotten back with an ex?
Well, exes are exes for a reason, right? And anyway, I only have one ex and he’s married now, so…
26. Have you ever been cheated on?
No. At least, not that I know of.
27. Have you ever cheated on someone?
28. Have you ever lost someone special to you?
29. Have you ever been so drunk you threw up?
No. I don’t drink very much, really. The drunkest I have ever been was last September at my friend’s husband’s birthday party and he and his grandpa(!) kept handing me cup after cup of this bright blue punch (I felt like I was in college again) and all that happened was I started talking a lot and everything was hilarious.
30. Have you ever fallen out of love with someone?
31. Have you ever met someone who changed you?
Yes. I think everybody we get close to changes us at least a little.
32. Have you ever been in a situation where you found out who your real friends are?
Again, who hasn’t? Isn’t this like a teenage rite of passage?
33. Have you ever kissed someone you probably shouldn’t have?
34. Have you ever found out people were talking about you behind your back?
Yes, and, yet again, who hasn’t???
35. Have you ever broken someone’s heart?
Yes, I’m sure I have and I’m very sorry. I was a very dumb teenage girl who did not understand context clues. Hopefully I haven’t done this recently.
36. Have you ever kissed a stranger?
37. Have you ever had your own heart broken?
I sure have.
38. Have you ever had sex on the first date?
We’re getting a little deep for a book blog, jeez! But no, I haven’t.
39. Have you ever been arrested?
Have you met me? Of course I haven’t. I never do anything!
40. Have you ever been attracted to someone that isn’t the gender you usually find attractive?
Yes, but I also feel like there’s a difference between just finding someone attractive and actually wanting to date them.
41. Have you ever done something you regret?
42. Have you ever had a threesome?
Yikes, no wonder these questions were missing from Ginny’s version!! But no, I have not.
43. Have you ever embarrassed yourself in public?
Obviously. Again, have you met me??
44. Have you ever misjudged someone?
Your Beliefs and Opinions
45. Do you believe in God?
This is quite a question because I was raised suuuuper Catholic and I went to THIRTEEN YEARS of Catholic school but I guess no, not really. The only times I’ve been to church since I moved out of my mom’s house are for weddings, funerals, and baptisms.
46. Do you believe in yourself?
I try to!
47. Do you believe in Santa Claus?
I believe in giving little kids lots of presents and saying they’re from Santa! Does that count?
48. Do you believe in ghosts?
Not really, but when I was really little, we lived in this house that was built in 1884 and I could’ve sworn I saw a ghost one night. (We’d also been watching one of those TLC shows about ghost hunters, so that might have influenced it.) Also, sometimes weird faces show up when I’m messing around with Snapchat and I always joke that they’re ghosts.
49. Do you believe in aliens?
Well, I mean, I don’t believe in little green men from Mars. But I think it’s naive to assume we’re the only planet in the entire universe with life.
50. Do you believe in miracles?
Yes. One of my good friends came down with full-blown rabies in 2004 (I think?) and her recovery was a true medical miracle.
51. Do you believe in the power of positive thinking?
52. Do you believe in love at first sight?
I believe in lust at first sight. The only people I’ve ever loved at first sight are my nieces and nephews.
53. Can money make you happy?
Money isn’t going to fix all of your problems, but it can sure help.
54. Would you describe yourself as a feminist?
55. Are you pro-life or pro-choice?
Definitely pro-choice. I don’t think it’s my place to tell other women what to do with their bodies.
56. Do you have strong political beliefs?
I have certain issues that I’m really passionate about and I always vote in every single election, even if it’s “just” a primary or “just” a local election, so I suppose I do.
57. Do you have strong religious beliefs?
58. What do you think the most important thing you can give a child is?
I mean, I’m not a parent so I don’t know that I’m really the right person to answer this question… but I would say unconditional love and enough freedom to be themselves. So many of my coworkers keep their kids under lock and key and wonder why they constantly rebel. My mom basically had the policy that I could do whatever the heck I wanted as long as I was home at a reasonable time (I didn’t even have a curfew!) with my homework done and I showed up to school the next day. I think I turned out okay, and the craziest thing I ever did as a teenager was going out for breakfast at like 2am with this band I was obsessed with.
59. Are you eating anything right now?
I am not.
60. Are you drinking anything right now?
I am not.
61. What are you listening to right now?
I’m not really listening to anything, but I can hear my neighbor’s super loud air conditioning unit running, which is weird because it’s not even hot today.
62. What are you thinking about right now?
What am I not thinking about? I’m always thinking about 600 things at the same time. Right now it’s:
- what book I’m going to read next (always on my mind)
- if I can reasonably take a day off next week to reorganize my house
- where I’m going to buy a dress for a wedding I’m attending next month
- what kind of dress I would even wear since I’m pretty sure my boss’ suggestion of “something short and backless” isn’t going to work for a church wedding in the midwest
- where I should go for my first solo vacation ever because honestly traveling with other people stresses me out but I have to get out of this state
- what I’m supposed to make for dinner tonight
63. What are you waiting for right now?
Right now, I’m waiting for my boss to work out a contract with a new doctor so that I know for sure if I still have a job after the summer’s over!
64. What are you most excited about right now?
Meeting my new niece (tomorrow!!) and finally seeing my best friend again! It’s been six years since I saw her and I am going crazy!!! We’re finally meeting up again next month and I CANNOT WAIT.
65. What’s your pet hate right now?
The fact that there’s construction on the only convenient road between my house and my office. I either have to sit in this unending line of alternating traffic OR I have to go all the way downtown and then get onto the highway to come almost all the way back to my house which is just super annoying. And I’m well aware that this is a total first world problem, but it’s definitely my #1 pet peeve right now.
66. What’s your favourite thing right now?
Probably the cat that’s currently sitting in my lap and purring because who wouldn’t love that???
67. If you weren’t answering these questions, what would you be doing right now?
Pointedly not doing anything currently on my to-do list.
68. Your first best friend:
Apparently there was this girl Andrea when I was in preschool but I don’t remember her at all. So I suppose Liz would be my first best friend. I haven’t seen her in a long time either but I’m hoping to meet up with her too when I’m back in WI next month.
69. Your first kiss:
Wasn’t until college because I am just that socially awkward!!
70. Your first celebrity crush:
Hahaha, it was Zac Hanson. Oh god, I was obsessed with him.
71. Your first holiday:
I have no idea, really! One of my uncles has a cabin wayyyy up north in Wisconsin (like practically Michigan) and I used to go there for a couple weeks each summer when I was younger. My aunt took me to Chicago when I was either seven or eight, so that was my first time out of the state, but I’m not sure if that really counts since Chicago is like right next to Wisconsin. She also took me to Bar Harbor, Maine when I was nine, and that was my first time on a plane and my first time in the ocean. My first international trip was to Peru when I was 20.
72. Your first pet:
I had a goldfish when I was really little and then I had a guinea pig when I was in third grade.
73. Your first regret:
Ooh, good question. We moved when I was eleven years old and my first real regret is probably not trying harder to make friends. I mean, I made friends and one of those friends is still my best friend (see #64) but I kind of just sat there and waited for people to say hi to me and I definitely could’ve done more.
74. Your first job:
I used to go to Milwaukee every summer to babysit my cousin from the time I was ten until I graduated from high school. (This is terrifying thinking back but I really did take care of that kid and she really did turn out okay.) I’d get like $100 per week and I thought that was insane and amazing but really I was getting paid less than a dollar per hour because I was literally watching her for every minute that I was awake.
My first non-babysitting job was tutoring this kid named Colton. He was kicked out of middle school for assault and battery (middle school!!) but you know what, I got paid and he actually never gave me any trouble.
75. Your first childhood memory:
I remember sitting on my grandpa’s lap and moving those weird strawberry candies that old people like from one pocket of his flannel shirt to the other.
Which would you choose?
76. Love or money?
77. Twitter or Facebook?
Facebook, for sure. I never know what to tweet.
78. Hook up or relationship?
79. Dogs or cats?
I love both so much but I actually have a cat, so I’ll have to go with that.
80. Coffee or tea?
Coffee. I can’t live without coffee.
81. Beer or wine?
I can’t stand the taste of beer, so I guess I’d go with wine? Although if I’m drinking anything, it’s probably a hard cider.
82. Sweet or savoury?
I used to have such a sweet tooth, but lately I’m more into savory things.
83. Introvert or extrovert?
I’m probably the biggest introvert you’ll ever meet!
84. Vampires or werewolves?
Why are so many tags asking me about my paranormal creature preferences? I guess… maybe… vampires? But really, neither. I’m so over paranormal books.
85. Seaside or countryside?
86. Summer or winter?
Summer. I lived through enough Wisconsin winters that I would be totally fine never seeing another snowflake ever again.
87. Books or movies?
Books. Shocking, I know.
88. Horror or comedy?
Comedy for sure.
89. Do you wish you could change your past?
Not really. I mean, there are definitely things I’d do differently now, but I wouldn’t be the person I am today without all of the choices that I’ve made.
90. What’s your dream job?
I wish I could get paid to review books! I’d also like to do literally anything in publishing.
91. What’s your guilty pleasure?
So I’ve been asked this in other tags and my answer is still the same — I don’t think you should feel guilty about things that make you happy, so I don’t believe in guilty pleasures.
92. What are you afraid of?
Bad things happening to people I care about. Also, really large spiders.
93. What was the first thing you wanted to be when you grew up?
The first thing I remember wanting to be was a doctor.
94. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
95. If you could change anything about your life what would it be?
Honestly? I probably would not have moved to New Jersey. I would definitely not be the same person I am today if I hadn’t moved here, but I absolutely did not think it through. I was an impulsive little 22-year-old when I did that.
96. Would you want immortality?
No. Imagine how sad it would be to watch all your friends and loved ones die!
97. If you could interview anyone alive or dead who would you choose?
I’m the most awkward person ever and would surely embarrass myself if I tried to interview anybody BUT I think it would be really fun to have a conversation with Jenn Bennett. She seems so nice and down-to-earth and she’s always baking things. Maybe we could do an interview while we make a pie together.
98. Would you say you are happy?
More or less.
99. What would one piece of advice you give to yourself at age eighteen?
I know that the idea of working at the desk freaks you out, but I promise it’s really fun! And there’s actually way less human interaction than in the cafeteria! And THEY LITERALLY PAY YOU TO WATCH MOVIES AND READ BOOKS.
100. Where would you like to be in five years’ time?
Well, in five years’ time we could be walking round a zoo with the sun shining down over me and you… anyway, now that that’s out of my system.
I think I would like to be not in New Jersey, although I’m unclear on where exactly I’d like to be. Sometimes I think New York (but it’s even more expensive there!) and other times I think I should move back to the midwest.
It would also be nice to work in publishing because although I love the office that I work in (most of the time) this weird hybrid of personal assistant/assistant manager/billing manager/filling in wherever else they need me isn’t really my ideal job. I suppose it’s more likely for a publishing job to happen in NY, but there are probably jobs in Chicago or Minneapolis too.
I’m tagging: anybody who’s comfortable doing it since wow, the full list of questions gets pretty personal! But if you’re interested, I’d love to see your answers and please tag me in it so I can make sure to read it!